Gluten free, from me to you!

Welcome!
My name is Laura Hill, I was diagnosed with celiac disease ten years ago. Like many others, it was like pulling teeth to get a diagnosis! When my doctor had performed numerous tests and prescribed a vareity of medication with no cure, I requested he test me for celiac disease by the recommendation of a friend and he refused. He told me I could not live the rest of my life without gluten. He also suggested I was making myself sick. I finally decided to seek a second opinion. The next doctor performed the blood work and the results came back confirmed celiac disease. Starting the gluten free diet totally changed my life. The condition I was in before the diagnosis was scary, without the gluten free diet I am not sure I would be here today! From my experience with celiac disease over the years, I have a desire to help others with the condition.

It can be daunting starting the diet and changing over to the gluten free lifestyle. This inspired me to become a dietitian, in order to help those make dietary changes. I just graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and I am currently a dietetic intern. I enjoy researching celiac disease, recipes, and the correlation between diet and disease. In this blog I want to share recipes and general information to help you navigate the gluten free diet, in the gluten filled world.


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Udi's Gluten Free Products

If you have not heard of Udi's gluten free products.. Please check out their website. I was so excited to receive a sample package of their delightful products. I had heard numerous reviews about how Udi's  gluten free products taste like the real thing and the products did not disappoint! I am in charge of a local celiac support group and wanted the chance to share these products with the members. The kind people at Udi's sent me white and whole grain sandwich bread, blueberry muffins, and pizza crusts. I will give a review of the products I have tried. The pizza crusts and white sandwich bread are in the still in the freezer. I am stretching the products out as long as I can because they are not offered locally.. However, you can order on line.



The whole grain bread tastes great right out of the package, if you have tried many gluten free breads they all require toasting. Most gluten free packaged breads taste like sawdust un-toasted. This bread does not need toasting. It is great for sandwiches and morning toast. It is made of a healthy flour blend and comes in at 160 calories for 2 slices.
Here are the ingredients Water, Tapioca Starch, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Canola Oil, Egg Whites, Sugar, Teff Flour, Flax Seed Meal, Yeast, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Baking Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Cultured Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Ascorbic Acid, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Corn Starch), Enzymes

This is a great bread for lunch boxes, both children and adults would love opening up a lunch box to a "normal" sandwich.. it beats rice cakes, thats for sure!




Blueberrymuffins_large
Blueberry Muffins

You can see from the picture the texture of these muffins are light and fluffy. They are sweet, but not overly sweet, which makes them an ideal breakfast treat! A lot of muffins have so much sugar they will spike your blood sugar and lead you to a "crash" within a few hours of eating. There are 4 muffins to a container, and they are huge muffins!! They are great right out of the package or for a fresh baked flavor you could toast them in the oven for a few minutes.

I will report back when I try the pizza crusts and white sandwich bread but after trying these products I have complete confidence they will not disappoint.. Check out their website.. and order your tasty products today. http://www.udisglutenfree.com/products

No comments:

Post a Comment