Gluten free, from me to you!

Welcome!
My name is Laura Hill, I was diagnosed with celiac disease ten years ago. Like many others, it was like pulling teeth to get a diagnosis! When my doctor had performed numerous tests and prescribed a vareity of medication with no cure, I requested he test me for celiac disease by the recommendation of a friend and he refused. He told me I could not live the rest of my life without gluten. He also suggested I was making myself sick. I finally decided to seek a second opinion. The next doctor performed the blood work and the results came back confirmed celiac disease. Starting the gluten free diet totally changed my life. The condition I was in before the diagnosis was scary, without the gluten free diet I am not sure I would be here today! From my experience with celiac disease over the years, I have a desire to help others with the condition.

It can be daunting starting the diet and changing over to the gluten free lifestyle. This inspired me to become a dietitian, in order to help those make dietary changes. I just graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and I am currently a dietetic intern. I enjoy researching celiac disease, recipes, and the correlation between diet and disease. In this blog I want to share recipes and general information to help you navigate the gluten free diet, in the gluten filled world.


Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jason's Deli

My blog should just be designated to UDI's.. I was doing some research yesterday and it was brought to my attention that Jason's Deli is now using UDI's gluten free bread in their delis. They tested out the market in a few different locations and as of July 5th all Jason's Deli locations have gluten free sandwiches as an option.

One thing they did say was there is a chance, just like with any resturant of cross containmination. But I called our local Jason's Deli this morning and they told me to ask for a manager when you order and they will make sure to change their gloves and use aluminum foil to protect the gluten free sandwich from wheat crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment