Gluten free, from me to you!

Welcome!
My name is Laura Hill, I was diagnosed with celiac disease ten years ago. Like many others, it was like pulling teeth to get a diagnosis! When my doctor had performed numerous tests and prescribed a vareity of medication with no cure, I requested he test me for celiac disease by the recommendation of a friend and he refused. He told me I could not live the rest of my life without gluten. He also suggested I was making myself sick. I finally decided to seek a second opinion. The next doctor performed the blood work and the results came back confirmed celiac disease. Starting the gluten free diet totally changed my life. The condition I was in before the diagnosis was scary, without the gluten free diet I am not sure I would be here today! From my experience with celiac disease over the years, I have a desire to help others with the condition.

It can be daunting starting the diet and changing over to the gluten free lifestyle. This inspired me to become a dietitian, in order to help those make dietary changes. I just graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and I am currently a dietetic intern. I enjoy researching celiac disease, recipes, and the correlation between diet and disease. In this blog I want to share recipes and general information to help you navigate the gluten free diet, in the gluten filled world.


Tuesday, July 6, 2010

FiddleCakes

A co-worker of mine was just diagnosed with celiac disease (is it bad that makes me happy to have a partner in crime?!) We decided to have lunch to celebrate and to share some tips with her on the diet. FiddleCakes is a fairly new cafe'/ bakery in Nashville that offers gluten free sandwiches, salads, soups, baked goods, and whole loafs of bread (special order). This seemed like the perfect place for a lunch date!

FiddleCakes makes their own gluten free baked goods in house, and is very aware of cross contamination. I ordered a gluten free turkey sandwich, and my friend ordered a gluten free chicken salad sandwich. We both were very impressed with the sandwiches, and what a treat to have a normal sandwich in a restaurant!

The sandwiches were too filling to try out the vast array of gluten free desserts FiddleCakes was offering that day. Although, I am sure planning to go back to try a gluten free cookie, scone, or muffin. FiddleCakes is a dream come true for those with celiac disease!

No comments:

Post a Comment