Gluten free, from me to you!

Welcome!
My name is Laura Hill, I was diagnosed with celiac disease ten years ago. Like many others, it was like pulling teeth to get a diagnosis! When my doctor had performed numerous tests and prescribed a vareity of medication with no cure, I requested he test me for celiac disease by the recommendation of a friend and he refused. He told me I could not live the rest of my life without gluten. He also suggested I was making myself sick. I finally decided to seek a second opinion. The next doctor performed the blood work and the results came back confirmed celiac disease. Starting the gluten free diet totally changed my life. The condition I was in before the diagnosis was scary, without the gluten free diet I am not sure I would be here today! From my experience with celiac disease over the years, I have a desire to help others with the condition.

It can be daunting starting the diet and changing over to the gluten free lifestyle. This inspired me to become a dietitian, in order to help those make dietary changes. I just graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and I am currently a dietetic intern. I enjoy researching celiac disease, recipes, and the correlation between diet and disease. In this blog I want to share recipes and general information to help you navigate the gluten free diet, in the gluten filled world.


Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Delicious Gluten Free Biscuits!


I feel Hardee’s, Cracker Barrel, or KFC knocking on my door! We received an unusual amount of snow today and that lead to day filled of internship applications and lots of cooking!! Gluten free lasagna, brown rice crispy treats, fish tacos with pineapple salsa, and the most delicious gluten free biscuits I have ever made.I know you are thinking these items are not complimentary, but the lasanga is for Sunday night. Fish Tacos were dinner and we baked a few biscuits to try and put the others in the refrigerator uncooked to enjoy for breakfast. Even my non-gluten free mom thought they were better than the gluten filled ones. They actually had flakey layers, and were light in texture, not dense like many other gluten free biscuits I have made. I know if you have been gluten free for long you know the bricks I am talking about, they land in your stomach like cement, these are not that way. Try these you won’t be sorry!

Gluten Free Flakey Biscuits

1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sorghum “sweet rice flour”
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375. Mix potato starch, cornstarch, sorghum, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and soda, salt, sugar. With a pastry cutter, cut in cold butter to flour mixture until the butter is blended into the flour. Add buttermilk to flour and butter mixture, mix til blended. Roll dough out with rolling pin or pat out with hands. Cut with round cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

These are great with apple butter, blackberry jam, honey, eggs, and sausage.

You could also use this dough to make sausage swirls (old childhood favorite). I will experiment and report back on those!



No comments:

Post a Comment